Handcrafted In Britain | Fully Assembled | Your Own Expert Project Manager | Nationwide Delivery | 15 Year Guarantee | Established for 10 Years
The ultimate classic victoria sandwich cake recipe by Mary Berry.Simple and easy to bake, for a Mother’s Day afternoon tea.
225 g butter(room temperature)
225 g caster sugar
225 g self-raising flour
2 level tsp baking powder
4 large eggs
4 tbsp. raspberry jam or strawberry jam
A little caster sugar, for sprinkling
1. Place the butter in a large bowl, then add the caster sugar,self-raising flour and baking powder.
Crack the eggs one at a time and add to the bowl.
2. Using the electric mixer on a slow speed, beat for two minutes, or until smooth.
The mixture will be soft enough to drop off the beaters when you lift them up.
3. Divide the mixture equally between the prepared cake tins and level the surfaces with a palette knife or spatula,
smoothing it over the surface of the two cakes.
4. Bake both cakes for 20 to 30 minutes. When done, they will shrink away from the sides and the top will spring back if pressed.
Cool for two minutes: loosen the edges with a knife.
5. After about 10 minutes, push the cakes the right way up on a rack.
6. Soften the jam with a palette knife. When the cakes are cold, remove the lining papers and invert one cake layer onto a plate.
Spread the jam, put the other layer on top, and sprinkle with caster sugar.